Saturday 3 November 2007

An Online Search

I recently decided to use Myspace's browsing feature to see how many Lesbians were in my area.

The answer? Lots.

Wading through them seemed like a daunting task. I changed it so that they were closer to me. Turns out I knew them all. Well, that's no good, is it? I browsed through a few more, until I saw *the* pretty girl. Hmm. Now what?

It seems like online dating is becoming more and more popular, especially when you are part of a minority. It gives you contacts without the legwork. But how do you distinguish who is worth messaging? What if they know someone who you know?

Remember those moments when you are in a bar, you see someone you like and you give them the eye? You then have that moment when you decided whether or not you should go over there and talk to them. Well, it seems like online dating is just the same. But worse.

The rejection process isn't instant. It is drawn out over weeks of checking your mailbox for messages. Surely this isn't healthy, you ask yourself. Maybe they have lost their internet connection? Argh, my profile picture makes me look fat, etc etc. At least when you are in a bar, you can be rejected, or even accepted, instantly.

I never sent the message to the pretty girl on myspace. Maybe I should. Some would say that maybe I should leave the house instead and see if there are real life pretty girls at the bar.

Some would be right.

1 comment:

walking.wounded said...
This comment has been removed by the author.